Sunday, May 8, 2011

Daffodil Cake

Whenever I see a cake design I like, I make sure to save it in an "idea" file that I have.  I've had this cake design saved for a while now...just waiting for the right occasion to make it.  I was asked to do a cake for a Mom turning 60.  I turned to my idea file and pulled out a few designs that I thought looked like "Mom" cakes.  This was the one that was chosen.  

It is an 8" round cake with a dome of rice crispy treats covered in fondant on top.  I decided to use fondant so I could "glue" the daffodils to it.  I was afraid if I just used buttercream that they would not stay on.  The flowers were made ahead of time out of gumpaste.  It took a little while to figure out how to make them but once I made a few I was in the groove.  I primarily used this tutorial from http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-daffodil.html to make the daffodils.  The stems were piped with a #12 round tip using green buttercream.  The ribbon is not edible.

20110324 Daffodil

Honestly, I'm not happy with how the white shows through between the flowers, and I haven't come up with a solution for this if I need to made this cake again.  However, "Mom" loved her cake and that's what counts!


1 comment:

  1. you should just add more flowers bunch them more together ... it would prob end up double the flowers that are there now if not more

    ReplyDelete