Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bowling for Cake?

No...Cake for bowling!  Seven year old Sasha was having his birthday party at a bowling alley, so he requested a bowling cake.  This cake was inspired by a design found at CakeCentral.com.

The pins and starbursts are flat cut outs of fondant and glued together.  I used lollipop sticks glued to the back of the pins with melted chocolate to hold up the pins.  The bowling ball was made from rice krispy treats and covered in fondant.

20101114 PB140191

Happy Birthday Sasha!

A whipped cream frosting was requested for this cake.  I did some research and found out you can use gelatin to stabilize whipped cream so it will not melt on your cake.  Although I wasn't able to get the smooth finish like I do with buttercream, I think it worked really well.  I have a leftover test cake in the refrigerator that lasted a whole week and still looks good.  I know, I know, how could I waste cake?!  It actually was a frozen cake that I was experimenting with as well.  Not too crazy about freezing cakes.  I know people do it all the time so I may have to experiment with that some more. 

Stay tuned.  I have a few more cakes over the next few weeks AND my cookie exchange party planning is underway!


No comments:

Post a Comment