Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why I won’t be doing any more wedding cakes

I have already agreed to do one more wedding cake this August, but after that no more! Wedding cakes are a big deal. I don’t want to be responsible for ruining a bride’s wedding day with a cake disaster. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think the success of a wedding depends on the cake, but on her special day a bride may think so. And pictures preserve that memory forever! Honestly, I don’t even remember what my wedding cake looked like. And even if it was bad, I probably wouldn’t have known the difference. OK, maybe I would have, but only if it was really bad.

I believe most cake decorators will tell you, they truly care how their cakes turn out. For the recipient AND for themselves. Successful cake decorators want to make the perfect cake for you and they take pride in showing their work. Cake decorating should be fun! And for me it usually is…except for wedding cakes. I’m sure if this was my full time job and I had more experience doing large scale cakes I might feel differently. But it’s just too stressful right now.

After I finished the daisy wedding cake Doug asked me “Did you enjoy making that cake?” I said yes, but I'm not so sure.  In a way I did. I enjoy the process of making and decorating cakes. I enjoy creating something from nothing and being proud of it. But the perfectionist in me was very frustrated with the heat, the melting buttercream and the cracking fondant. The worrier in me couldn’t sleep all night and the 90 minute drive just about did me in! I was desperately trying to figure out a way to get out of doing the next wedding cake in August! When I finally received feedback (a few days later) that everyone loved the wedding cake, it was like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. I imagine it’s just like most stressful situations, when you are in the middle of it it’s not so good, but when it’s all done you look back and say that wasn’t so bad. The end result makes up for the painful journey. But I have to wonder if that journey was really worth it.

What solidified my feelings on this was the next cake I did. A children’s birthday cake. It was fun! The entire cake, from start to finish. No worries, no stress! Isn’t that what a hobby is supposed to be like? YES! And that is what I need to remember, this is a hobby, not a job. If a hobby isn’t fun then why do it?

So after the one wedding cake that I have already committed to in August, no more wedding cakes for me. I’m starting my game plan now, so hopefully it can go as smoothly as possible. Who knows I may change my mind in the future but for now I’m sticking to birthdays, graduations, baby showers, holidays, just for fun cakes, etc. Anything but weddings.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really good decision! You're right, a hobby should be fun and not stressful. If it's not, it becomes work and isn't relaxing.

    ReplyDelete