Friday, March 12, 2010

Heavenly Coconut Cream Cake

This is a must try recipe if you like coconut!

It’s not fancy, as a matter of fact, on the surface is looks like a simple cake with whipped topping and coconut. But it is SO much more than that…. a rich, moist coconut cake that just melts in your mouth. Whenever I bring this cake somewhere there are no leftovers, and almost everyone goes back for seconds!

This cake is served in the same pan as it is baked. I love those disposable cake pans with lids for this because I don’t have to worry about clean up or carrying my baking pan home.

Start with a basic white cake mix and bake as directed in a 13” x 9” pan. While the cake is baking, mix together 1 (14oz) can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 (15oz) can of cream of coconut. Be sure to use coconut cream and NOT coconut milk. I find the cream of coconut in the Hispanic section of my grocery store but I have also seen it in the baking aisle in some stores.

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke several, and I mean A LOT of holes in the top of the cake with a fork. SLOWLY pour the milk/cream mixture over the warm cake so it soaks in evenly. You may have to use a spatula to move the liquid around because it tends to flow to the edges if you don’t have enough holes or pour too quickly. This will seem like a lot of liquid but the cake will absorb it as it cools. Immediately place the cake in the refrigerator to cool. I usually allow it to chill overnight.

Once the cake is cooled, top with 1 small tub of whipped topping and shredded coconut to taste (about 7 oz). I make sure the surface is covered with coconut but if you aren’t a fan of shredded coconut you could use less. Store this cake in the refrigerator.

This cake can easily be made a day ahead. Everyone will ask for the recipe and no one will believe how easy it is!  You could also mix this one up and use a chocolate or pineapple cake! Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment