Friday, January 8, 2010

Who wouldn't want a KIT KAT cake?

This is another one of those cakes that ANYONE can make. No special cake decorating skills required!


It starts with a plain round cake. I made a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream filling, because that’s what was requested. Of all the cakes I have made for males, young and old, they always request chocolate! Hmmm, I thought women were supposed to be the chocoholics? But I digress….chocolate cake with buttercream filling. I then frosted the top and sides of the cake with chocolate buttercream as well. Next, open up about 100 packs of KIT KAT candy bars and start placing them on the sides of the cake. The buttercream will act as a “glue” so make sure it is not too thin. Honestly, I think I used 6 or 7 packages. I broke the bars into groups of 2, so they would conform to the round sides better.

The blue ribbon was added for some color to the cake. I used a small piece of double stick tape where the ribbon overlapped on the back of the cake to make it snug. I’m sure you could use a longer piece of ribbon and tie a bow, but I thought the colors/stripes were fitting for a man.

My cake was slightly taller than the KIT KATs so I could add the happy birthday message and I added the border at the top for some more color. I have also seen this cake done with the top of the cake slightly shorter than the KIT KATs and then the top was filled with M&Ms. I’m not sure about the ease of cutting a cake filled with M&M’s but it sure makes for a great presentation!

Now doesn’t that sound easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment